Hi! I’m Nicole. A desert dwelling, small space living, craft beer loving artist.
I’m only happy when I’m creating. Ever since I can remember, I’ve loved to write, paint, draw, and have fun creating a mess while making the images in my head a reality.
Some of my earliest memories are:
Getting in trouble for using shoe polish on the side of my parents’ house to make it “pretty,” and
Driving all the adults around me crazy by insisting they read my latest “novel—” a series of notebook pages torn out of a notebook, scrawled across with a pencil, and stapled back together again.
I’m a dabbler, outcast, late bloomer, and perpetual learner of something new.
I’m a bit like a hummingbird. I buzz around from interest to interest and sample things until I feel like I’ve learned enough and I’m ready to move to the next thing.
Creating art is the only “flower” that has ever held this hummingbird (me!) captivated.
I’ve been called flaky, irresponsible, and a quitter for my need to dabble. But I believe my combination of experiences and knowledge in other fields gave me the courage and maturity I needed to finally put my artwork into the world.
My artwork is inspired by my beautiful home in the heart of the Sonoran desert in the southwestern portion of the United States. I love creating digital art on my iPad with programs like Procreate, and I also paint and draw with acrylics and watercolor.
You can usually find me:
- Learning far too many obscure facts from nerdy history documentaries on YouTube. My favorite TV historians are Lucy Worsley, Dan Jones, Helen Castor, Suzannah Lipscomb, and a few more I know I’m forgetting.
- Endlessly tweaking the code and trying new plugins on my websites.
- Seeking out the tastiest Sonoran food my southern Arizona home has to offer. Sonoran hot dogs, mesquite-smoked carne asada tacos, raspados, oh my!
- Hoofing it around nature preserves with Nikon camera in hand.
- Climbing mountains in my Jeep Wrangler.
- Drawing on my iPad, painting rocks, and doing anything to scratch my never-ending creative itch.
I’m a Tucson, Arizona-based artist and writer who expresses creativity through digital painting, photography, mixed media art, and writing.
I create art about life in the Sonoran Desert and using the presence of nature to heal from trauma and gain a more profound understanding of ourselves. I am inspired by the honest, rugged beauty of the plants, animals, landscape, and culture of the American Southwest.
I’m interested in the convergence of creativity and technology, and what happens when we stop to notice nature and consider alternate ideas.
When people experience my work, I want them to appreciate the small details of plants, places, and animals and think about the familiar in a new way.
Arizona-based artist and writer Nicole Peery came from a family of painters and photographers. Although blessed with this background, growing up in a small town in the rural Midwest USA, shockingly, she was never encouraged to pursue art as a career.
After the horrifying experience of high school, Nicole was eager to escape the stagnant, closed-minded small town she grew up in. Despite constant buggering to get a “real career,” she attended college for art and earned an associate degree in fine art with a minor in graphic design from Vincennes University. She then attended Indiana University and earned a bachelor of arts in liberal arts.
As the financial crisis of 2008 descended upon this spinning rock in space, Nicole took a job in a field she never dreamed she’d work in: healthcare. Always insanely nerdy and tech-savvy, in the healthcare field, Nicole enjoyed positions as a database administrator, regulatory affairs coordinator, and data quality management specialist.
While working full-time in healthcare, Nicole attended Western Governors University and graduated with an MBA with an emphasis in healthcare management. (…and more student loans)
After a rewarding, nearly decade-long career in healthcare, Nicole had a premature midlife crisis and held positions as an SEO writer, coding boot camp mentor, and support engineer. During this wild career experiment, she earned certificates in front-end web development and user experience design, and increased her knowledge of content creation and digital marketing strategies.
Now living in a motorhome in the desert with her spouse of 20 years, Nicole is most proud of always having the courage to make big life changes when they were needed. Most notably, selling her house and most of her things and moving across the country to realize her dream of living in Tucson!
- LEARNING: I will never know everything. I will consistently learn new things and grow from my new knowledge.
- HUMOR: My approach to life will be laid back. I will always seek the humor in every situation.
- MINDFULNESS: I commit to recognizing where people are on their unique journeys and I will never forget where I started.
- CREATIVITY: I will always share my unique perspective, create new things, and strive to walk my own path.
- BRAVERY: I will consistently strive to push myself further and approach all things head on and head up.
Hop on over to this page to be notified when I have new content!